We get quite a few questions from males and females regarding how to find the perfect ring; today we are addressing some of their concerns. Spending thousands on an engagement ring isn’t easy. These are common concerns we hear: I want to keep it a surprise but what if it isn’t the ring she wants? Can I exchange it? Can I really afford that ring? Who does the appraisal?
We put together a few helpful questions to present your jeweler when making this life changing purchase. Some may seem obvious but you would be surprised how many forget to ask.
1. What is the jewelers exchange/return policy? It is good to have a back-up plan just in case your fiancée (or you) wants to exchange her ring.
2. Ask to view your diamond under their microscope, so you can see any and all blemishes. This will help you compare and understand the Clarity, one of the 4 C’s, of the diamond so you make the best decision.
3. Does the jeweler offer custom ring designs if you already have your diamond? Some jewelers, such as Tiffany & Co., have brilliant, quality diamonds but do not offer any customization of rings. Therefore, if you already have the diamond it’s usually best to find family owned jewelry stores who specialize in custom settings.
4. What are you options for payment? Every store has a different payment policy so do not assume, ask.
5. Who does the appraisal? Many jewelers require you go through them for the appraisal. Therefore, if you want to go elsewhere, double check their policy. After you get your appraisal, make sure you get the ring insured as soon as possible.
I hope this makes ring shopping a little less stressful and a little more enjoyable. These are just a few items to address. Feel free to email us or comment below if you have a good question/suggestion for our soon-to-be engaged couples. Have fun finding that perfect fit!