Wondering how to get over your fear of proposing? After almost eleven years of planning proposals, we’ve heard it all- But most fears have the same underlying themes. Here are the Top 5 Fears Men Have While Proposing, plus a proposal planner’s response on how to combat each fear!
- “I’m afraid my proposal won’t live up to my partner’s expectations.” If you have this fear, you came to the perfect place! This is the number one fear that we help our clients conquer on a day to day basis. There are a number of reasons that a proposal wouldn’t meet expectations, but the two most important questions to ask yourself are: “Do I know what my partner REALLY wants?” and “Is my proposal going to be as unique as our love story, or will it be just like everyone else’s?” We all want a romantic proposal story that we can brag about to our friends and family, so if the proposal feels uncomfortable or cliche, it will likely not live up to what your partner has in mind. Need help coming up with a creative proposal idea that will blow her away? We can come up with ideas for you, or you can do it yourself!
- “What if I get nervous and forget everything I was going to say?” More often than not, guys will either be a) too excited to wait any longer or b) too nervous to remember everything that they wanted to say. Never fear, we have the perfect solution! Instead of memorizing a speech that you will present before getting on one knee, write your feelings in a sweet letter for her to read (or for you to read out loud). The truth is, she won’t remember a word you said (because she’ll be so excited) so having your feelings written out in a letter for her to look back on forever is not only handy for you, but is also the perfect keepsake for her to remember the proposal forever. Click here for help writing the perfect proposal speech.
- “How do I get her there without her being suspicious? She’ll definitely know what’s going on…” You’re talking to the masters! After eleven years of “getting her there without her being suspicious” we’ve learned a thing or two! The key is to think about how you act in your day-to-day life. Are you always extra romantic? Do you tend to go out of your way to plan fun dates and to buy her a new dress to wear to dinner? Great! You will have an easier time convincing her that it’s just another night out. On the other hand, if you aren’t the romantic type, it would feel pretty far fetched for you to send her an invitation to a private dinner on a rooftop. In this case, it would be best to plan a casual outing (a walk in the park) where you would stumble upon the proposal set up.
- “What if something goes wrong/ the proposal doesn’t go smoothly?” One of the most common mistakes we see people make while proposing is that they think they can handle everything themselves. We’ve learned from the many, many proposals we’ve coordinated, that even after planning a proposal months in advance, there’s always a chance that something won’t go as planned. Enlisting an amazing team or even just a close friend to handle those details for you so that you’re not stressed on the day of is the best way to make sure that- even though something might go wrong- you won’t have to worry about it! Don’t have family and friends around? No worries… we’ll tell you just where to find the perfect helper in this video!
- “I don’t think I have a large enough budget to plan her dream proposal.” This is one of the most common concerns we hear from our inquiries. While having a larger budget is great because you can hire a proposal planner to coordinate the logistics for you, a large budget isn’t necessary to make a proposal romantic and thoughtful. So if money doesn’t make a proposal amazing, what does? Intention. Even through small gestures, you can show that you know your partner better than anyone else, and that you planned this moment especially with them in mind. (i.e. Getting peonies instead red roses because they’re her favorite flower). You can absolutely plan her dream proposal on any budget. If you need additional help, this video will walk you through how to do just that!